Friday, January 5, 2018

Dogmatism grooming

We're not supposed to like dogma, dogmatists or dogmatism.

I think murder is bad. It's kind of built into the definition. If it wasn't bad, we would call it "killing in self defense" or "accidental death" or something else. Murder is what we call it after a judgement has been made that a wrongful killing took place. We can doubt individual judgements, but can we doubt the principle?

What sort of situation or argument should make me want to consider that murder might be a good thing? So, am I being dogmatic? You must admit that the world might be a better place minus some of its most disagreeable persons. So, should I switch to a consequentialist frame on murder? I don't like that sort of consequentialism.

How about rape? I can't think of any credible scenario where rape is going to make the world a better place. So, shall we endorse dogmatism on this topic? Rape is bad.

So if we can justify dogmatism in some circumstances, how do we explain the distinction between justifiable and unjustifiable dogmatism? What sorts of justifications work?

Usually when someone accuses me of dogmatism, their position seems just as dogmatic to me. How can we tell which one, or niether, really fits the costume?

I think we can find good reasons for using caution about dogmatism. If the dogmatists must shield their dogma from criticism, that's probably a mistake. What else makes dogma into dogma?

I'm willing to listen to all sorts of criticisms about my ideas that murder and rape are bad. If I changed my mind, that would surprise me, but changing my mind usually surprises me. Such surprises are hardly surprising. If I expected to change my mind, I would have changed it already.

So, does a feeling of comfortable certainty qualify me as a dogmatist, assuming I'm willing to think seriously about rival hypotheses and the reasons people give for them?



No comments: